Re: [Harp-L] Progression

 You sound like you are talking about a C harmonica.

If you are playing in 2nd position on a C harp that is the key of G. G is the tonic, root or first note of the G scale (even the G mixolydian on a C harp).

Songs do not always start on the first note of the key they are in. And if you are basing your determination of what key a song is in on the first note, you may be wrong. The final note -- or chord  if you have sheet music or a chart -- is a better indicator.

As to whether blow 3 or draw 2 is a better selection for the G note (or any other tonic note) most people prefer the draw 2 for its better timbre and ability to bend and put bending vibrato on it. Vibrato is somewhat difficult on blow 3 unless you have a valved harp. But some people use blow 3/draw 2 to add variety and rhythm to their playing. Tongue blocking blow 3 gives you 2 notes to block while draw 2 gives you only 1 to block.

You sound like you are playing cross harp. The F harp is the harp to use to play in the key of C cross harp. Standard F harps are the penultimate in tweety pitch. A low tuned F puts you in the lower octave range and tends to sound more mellow.

And whatever you are doing at the open mic, it must be working. So keep on doing what you're doing. You can figure out the harp terminology later.

Get yourself a Circle of Fifths to figure out which harp = each position  -- they're all over the web.
The Circle of Fifths not only helps you figure out positions, it shows the I, IV and V chords that go with each key -- just in case you don't have all 12 keys memorized.

Hope this helps,
Phil